Eataly severs ties with Mario Batali amid misconduct scandal

NEW YORK — Chef Mario Batali, whose career crumbled amid sexual misconduct allegations, no longer owns a stake in Eataly, the Italian marketplaces he once heavily promoted.

Chris Giglio, a spokesman for Eataly USA, told The Associated Press on Friday the company has purchased Batali's minority interest, formally ending the relationship. Batali has had no direct involvement with Eataly since December 2017, Giglio said.

Batali, known for his orange Crocs and ponytail, has pleaded not guilty to a charge that he forcibly kissed and groped a woman at a Boston restaurant in 2017. The next court hearing in the case is scheduled for Aug. 30.

Eataly USA has several locations, including a Manhattan flagship. Batali had already given up financial stakes in all his restaurants, severing a 20-year partnership with Joe Bastianich.

Must Read

Haier boss looks far beyond appliances

Mar 30, 2017

Haier Group paid $5.4 billion for GE Appliances, but the Chinese company's chairman says the...

Terror threats transform China's Uighur heartland...

Mar 30, 2017

US-CHINA-XINJIANG-SECURITY-INSIGHT:Terror threats transform China's Uighur heartland into security...

Zhang Yimou says 'Great Wall' story may have been...

May 10, 2017

Zhang Yimou says the disappointing U.S. performance of the biggest budget China-U.S. co-production...

'Dangal' becomes China's biggest non-Hollywood...

May 23, 2017

The Aamir Khan film "Dangal" about an Indian man training his daughters to become wrestlers has...

China opens movie theater on disputed South China...

Jul 24, 2017

China has opened a state-of-the-art movie theater on disputed Woody Island in the South China Sea's...

Sign up now!